Sunday, November 27, 2011

One day at a time

It was weird being away from my family for Thanksgiving this year, but I guess it is just one of those sacrifices a college athlete has to make. Our breaks are considerably shorter than that of other students, but it is worth it because we are doing something that we all love.

 With break now behind us the team has a lot of goals heading into conference play. Pre-season did not go as exactly as we had hoped it would, but it showed us just how much we need to step it up for conference play. After our Mount Ida game Coach told us to really focus on what we, as individuals, can improve in order to help the team as a whole. As a freshman in a new system, a lot of different things come to my mind. But the first thing that stands out to me, is putting more focus on the task at hand and take things step by step. A lot of the time I’m so concerned about what I should be doing next that not all of my attention is given to what I am doing at that moment. If I can change this then I believe it will help bring a higher intensity level to the court because all of my energy will be focused on that one moment.

This same idea applies to school too. With finals only two shorts weeks away, my workload has really increased. Sometimes when I think about the sheer amount of work that has to be done, it seems like too much. Breaking down what I have to do day by day will help to get all of that work done without feeling too overwhelmed.

Coast Guard is coming up on Wednesday. They are a team on a roll right now so it will be a good, competitive game to start conference play.

No comments:

Post a Comment