Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Hey! I'm back.


Hey everyone! It’s been a while since my last blog. In the past few months I have completed my second finals week, watched the seniors walk across the Dimple on graduation day, and spent a few precious weeks back home in Colorado enjoying family, friends, and the wonderful mountains.  Now I find myself back in Massachusetts and back on campus (a much emptier version) to do some summer research. In the next five weeks I will be immersing myself in lab work in the beautiful Mars Science Center. Under the guidance of one of my Chemistry professors I get to help with two government funded research projects. The two projects, though very different, are both interesting and could be very influential. The first project involves looking at hot springs and river samples from the Himalayas in order to better understand the carbon cycle. It is currently thought that this area acts as a sink for carbon dioxide, taking it out of the atmosphere, but it is possible that the carbon dioxide being released through the hot springs is offsetting the amount being taken in. The second project focuses on samples from a little farther south in Antarctica. For this project we will be analyzing ice core segments and comparing our findings to satellite data in order to figure out if our lab method of determining when the sea ice is melting and freezing can be used to go further back in time (father than the satellite data).

Lab work won’t be my only focus this summer, however.  I will also be working in the gym trying to improve my game for the upcoming season. Thankfully, being on campus provides not only a place to lift and shoot, but it also brings me close enough to my teammates to play some summer league games as well. Should be a busy summer!

Tomorrow we head out to Woods Hole on the Cape to help receive the shipment of ice cores!

No comments:

Post a Comment