Friday, December 16, 2011

First Semester Reflections


It’s amazing how fast the first semester went by. I feel like it was only a few short weeks ago that my parents dropped me off and said their good byes. Looking back on the semester I think of all of the new experiences and challenges that I faced. Academically speaking, the transition from high school to college was a big step. College classes are more challenging and require the skill of time management (more so, the ability to not procrastinate).  Finals week was a true test of my ability to hold myself accountable for the work that I needed to get done. With four essays down and only one final to go, I think I did a pretty good job of it. Not to mention, I didn’t require any overnight stays at the library. Though I did hear they serve pretty good snacks between the hours of 3 a.m to 5 a.m so I might have to take advantage of that Spring semester.


As for the other half of my student-athlete life, I think there is a lot to reflect on for the first part of the basketball season. Entering the season we set a team goal, among many others, of reaching the post season. Even though we have been plagued with some unfortunate injuries, I still believe this goal is within our reach. The pre-season and first few NEWMAC games have taught us a lot. In these games the team has shown spurts of hard play and great communication. Coming back after break it will be our job to turn these spurts into 40 minute games of basketball. This is something I think we are more than capable of doing and will have to do in order to compete with the rest of the NEWMAC. 

However, before we get back to conference play we will be making a short detour to sunny Puerto Rico! The team is very excited to have this amazing opportunity to not only experience a different culture and landscape, but to be able to play some more basketball as well. Capturing two wins (and possibly a nice tan...) before returning home to see our families for Holiday Break would be the perfect gift.

Puerto Rico will be packed with so many fun events that  I will be blogging daily about the wonderful food, activities, and basketball!    


Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment